Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Independence Day

How weird that this blog post, which deals with criticizing Indians for americanizing themselves and then later jumps the other way to take their side, should start in the aftermath of the American Independence Day.

I see a lot of my contacts sporting "Had the happiest Independence Day of my Life!!" as their status. While this is all well and good, but the crucial point to be noted is that I'm Indian and so are these contacts of mine. And no, I did not see this status on the 15th August, which incidentally is India's Independence Day, when finally after a lot of bigotry and politics-to-serve-one's-own-means, we were finally given our Independence by a weak England who were too bothered with themselves than to put up with our feeble attempt at "revolution". So, where was I? Ahh yes, So i see this status on the 4th of July. No, they're not NRIs either, they've been in US for like 2-3 months. What went wrong / right to effect this change? Where's your patriotism bitches?

But then as I thought about it, I realized that we (Indians) live in a cliched society where rules contradict each other and progress keeps tripping over itself just to satisfy the egos of a handful few. The smart ones get out, and those with a misplaced sense of pride hang on and get fucked (like me). Suddenly the feeling of Independence started making sense.

Okay, for a first post, this is pretty weird and confused, but Hey, Thats Me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails